Friday, July 9, 2010

What I Have Learned from the Pioneers - Lesson #1

Geoffrey and Jennifer at Trek - July 2008

Lesson #1 - I NEED FAITH IN EVERY FOOTSTEP

For a mother crossing the plains, burying babies, hungry, seeing her children hungry this was literal.  Every footstep forward required faith.  I do feel like the same faith is required of us today, it's just easier for us to be distracted and not realize we should be leaning on the Lord like the pioneers did.  I remember reading a story of a woman who was praying for a situation to work out and she realized, What if the Lord has something better for her?  So she changed her prayer to "let this work out or something better if you have that in mind". 

I think this is the greatest lesson of those who have gone before us - whether they came across the plains or not - we can learn by the examples of faith that are so moving, so inspiring that it makes us say "If they did that, I can handle my life right now!"  There is a very temporal thing promised to me in my patriarchal blessing that has yet been unfulfilled in my life.  Sometimes I think "When Lord, when?", but there have been many moments that the faith I have in that promise has been what keeps me putting one foot in front of the other.  Grateful seems too small a word for what I feel for the countless tender mercies I have had and continue to have in my life.

President Hinckley said:  "It is good to look to the past to gain appreciation for the present and perspective for the future.  It is good to look upon the virtues of those who have gone before, to gain strength for whatever lies ahead.  It is good to reflect upon the work of those who labored so hard and gained so little in this world but out of whose dreams ...has come a great harvest of which we are the beneficiaries.  Their tremendous example can become a compelling motivation for us.  For each of us is a pioneer in his own life, often in his own family and many of us pioneer daily in seeking to do God's will and lift and serve those around us."

Action Plan #1 - Seek to do God's Will Daily

No comments: